My symptoms have gotten worse since I started with my training, is that normal?
Changes in your symptoms are natural and occur as your internal musculature strengthens.
In some cases symptoms can temporarily appear to be worse for some people. There can be several reasons for this; these are the most common ones:
- You have stopped the medication that you were taking before that reduced your symptoms.
- Training with IQoro causes pressure changes in the oral cavity, esophagus and in the hiatal canal (the aperture that we all have in our diaphragm where the esophagus passes through on its way to join with the mouth of the stomach when it is in its correct position under the diaphragm).
This can lead to some symptoms worsening for a short period as the increased pressure temporarily leads to more reflux. It is important though that you continue to train with IQoro through this phase – it will soon get better!
Continue to take any symptom-relieving drugs that work for you as long as you wish. As your musculature strengthens you can reduce the dose successively.
How will Brexit affect me if I want to buy an IQoro?
The UK and the EU reached an agreement on a post-Brexit trade deal. This means amongst other things that there is no customs tariff on IQoro shipped to UK from Sweden. However, there are new costs related to the extra admin charges of these imports.
The price of an IQoro is unchanged at £145.00 including VAT.
There is still nothing extra that you need to do to facilitate the delivery of your IQoro.
You may have read that anything that you import – and buying an IQoro as a UK citizen falls into that category – means that you must make a declaration to HMRC on the nature and value of the goods you have bought.
In the case of IQoro we have simplified this process. We have contracted with our freight company to act as our importer to take care of these administrative issues. This is an unavoidable consequence of Brexit and adds £13.5 to the price that you pay for freight.
You may order and receive your IQoro without worrying about the new import rules.
3. Consumer rights
The consumer rights laid out in our Terms and Conditions that form the basis of each transaction between our company and its customers, is as currently stipulated by EU regulations.
After Brexit, the UK may decide to implement its own version of consumer rights law and in that case it will be these rules that regulate our sales to UK customers.
This could affect your position regarding, for example: warranty period, right of return, or other facets of the transaction. The situation is at present unclear and undecided, we will update our website as soon as the position is clear.
I ordered an IQoro, but haven´t received a confirmation
When you make a purchase in the webshop, a confirmation is automatically sent to your email adress. Please, check you spamfolder if it ended up there. If you do not get an order confirmation at all, your purchase has for some reason not been finalized
Warranty and durability
IQoro is CE-marked and meets the requirements set by The Swedish Medical Products Agency (MPA). The manufacturing guarantee is for 7 months and covers any damage that has occurred during the actual production. Report any damage as soon as possible. Read more in your manual on CE marking, warranty and how to handle your IQoro in the best way. Recommended usage time is 12 months. This is based on the fact that IQoro is a product you have in your mouth and there is a natural wear in the plastic during use. IQoro is made of a medical plastic that meets the requirements for allergies. Read more under the FAQ Allergy.
I’ve heard about IQoro on my Facebook LPR GERD support site, can I buy it in the US?
No. IQoro would need to approved by the FDA before we could supply to US citizens. That’s not a huge hurdle for a device that is CE marked, and it’s in our development plans – but not yet!
I have read in the manual that a symptom document (patient questionnaire) should be used. Where can I find it?
E-mail to: [email protected], and we will send it to you.
Which countries can IQoro be sold and used in?
IQoro is a CE marked, Class 1 Medical Device and thus we can ship to any customer in any country in the EU (more correctly, the EES region) even if the health authorities there don’t buy from us and prescribe it. Note that today the user manual including the self-tests and training journal is available in Danish, English, Finnish, German, Swedish and Norwegian.
Please note that we don’t sell IQoro outside the eu / ees and that warranty does not apply elsewhere.
I sometimes get blood in my mouth when I train with IQoro, is this normal?
It can happen that you get a little blood in your mouth when you train, usually for one of the following reasons:
– If you have had reflux, heartburn and thick phlegm in your throat, then your stomach acids have probably damaged the mucous membranes in your throat. Normally, the blood produced goes back into your stomach and you don’t notice it. When you train with IQoro you cause pressure changes which can cause this blood to come back up into your mouth. This is not dangerous. Sometimes the blood mixes with your saliva and makes the quantity seem more than it really is.
– An infection in the mucous membranes of the mouth or in a tooth or gums can lead to blood in the mouth. Excessive plaque can also result in more vulnerable membranes which are more likely to bleed. If it was a while since you last went to a dentist, it may be time for a new visit!
– Tender and more fragile mucous membranes are common side effects of some medicines.
Try to use a mirror, or ask someone to help, to see where in your mouth the blood is coming from. Speak to your doctor if you suspect that it is none of the above, or feel free to contact us again by mail or telephone.
My partner snores, and I have swallowing difficulties, can we use the same IQoro?
No. IQoro is approved by the authorities as a CE marked, Class 1 Medical Device for use by a single person.
Can training with IQoro cause any harm?
All the studies that we know of show no negative side-effects, nor does the company’s Quality Management System (QMS) record any serious adverse events. Training with IQoro merely stimulates and strengthens the body’s own natural in-built chain of muscles and nerve control systems.
In the beginning, training of under-used muscles can cause some soreness in the oral cavity, the neck, and deeper in the swallowing system – just like the first session in the gym for a long time, or the first day of the season on the ski slopes. This soreness soon disappears.
However, there are some conditions where the effect of IQoro training can have a more serious negative effect. Please contact us before ordering IQoro if you suffer from one of the following conditions.
– Trigeminal neuralgia: Short and intensive attacks of acute pain.This disease often begins in patients around 50 years old and is more common in women than in men. It affects around 6 people in every 100 000. The condition is classified as either classic- or symptomatic-trigeminal neuralgia. The former is probably caused by the mechanical effect of a trapped blood vessel pressing on the trigeminus nerve ending, or has no detectable cause at all. Symptomatic trigeminal neuralgia can have its origin in either a tumour or a neurological condition. It is not uncommon that the intense pain is wrongly ascribed as coming from the teeth or sinuses. In both types of this condition the right side of the face is twice as likely to be affected as the left. Since even brushing the teeth can trigger an attack, training with IQoro should be approached very carefully.
– Parasophageal hernia: Also known as ‘rolling hiatal hernia’ as opposed to ‘sliding hiatal hernia’. In this rare variant of hiatal hernia a part of the stomach intrudes through the diaphragm into the chest cavity on the left hand side, under the heart. Crucially, this intrusion is not of the mouth of the stomach (which remains in the stomach cavity) as in a sliding hiatus hernia, but another part of the stomach wall. The herniated part of the stomach can be strangulated in the chest cavity and surgical intervention is often recommended.
– Tinnitus: People with this condition can sometimes experience an altered hearing sensation after training with IQoro, probably because one of the nerves stimulated by IQoro emanates from the middle ear.
When is it safe to alter my diet?
The primary rule is that it is your doctor or clinician that must decide if you can change your medication, nutrition or hydration methods, diet, or other.
In the case of swallowing, one of the greatest risks is that of aspiration. That is to say that food or drink “goes down the wrong way” and this can lead to lung infections and pneumonia. This is the reason that healthcare professionals sometimes prescribe feeding by tube through the nose, or directly into the stomach – to avoid this so-called unsafe swallow. In other cases, they prescribe drink thickeners, or modified solid foods that they know are easier for you to swallow safely.
Because of the risks of aspiration, it is important that you consult with your Speech and Language Therapist or doctor before you change from what you have been previously advised to do – even when you are experiencing good improvement from your IQoro treatment.
Will I need to continue with maintenance training, once I have cured my symptoms?
Maybe. It depends on whether you are using IQoro to cure problems caused by neurological injury – like stroke, which has caused dysphagia or facial paralysis, or whether you are training because of a muscular weakness such as Hiatus hernia, snoring or apnoea.
If it is muscular weakness, then maintenance training will be required. Once you have achieved your desired result you should continue to train with a reduced number of sessions per day. You’ll need to find the right level for yourself.